The Henry has invited celebrated artist Ann Hamilton (U.S., born 1956) to undertake an unprecedented transformation of the museum. An artist of exceptional international significance, Hamilton has intervened, interpreted, and transformed numerous spaces in the past, including The Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden, Washington D.C. (2003, 1991); The Wanas Foundation, Knislinge, Sweden (2002); The Pulitzer Foundation for the Arts, St. Louis (2009); and most recently New York’s Park Avenue Armory (2012). In Seattle, Ann Hamilton will engage audiences with an artist who generated region-wide enthusiasm in 1992, when the Henry commissioned Hamilton’s seminal work accountings. Hamilton will be in residence to develop site-specific installations and create a diverse series of programs and performances presented throughout the building.
With Ann Hamilton, the Henry will continue its long tradition of inviting artists to consider the museum as a studio or laboratory for creative discovery and connecting our audiences with public programs generated by resident artists. Through the project, we will offer the entire museum to a single artist for the first time since our 1997 expansion. The Henry’s collaboration with Hamilton is in keeping with its mission to advance contemporary art, artists, and ideas, and to foster a culture of creativity campus and region wide.
Hamilton has been the recipient of many honors including a MacArthur Fellowship, United States Artists Fellowship, NEA Visual Arts Fellowship, Tiffany Foundation Award, and Guggenheim Fellowship. She has represented the United States in the 1991 São Paulo Bienal and the 1999 Venice Biennale, and has exhibited extensively around the globe.